Friday, February 3, 2012

The First Day Book in February

Outside my window... 
Sun, sun, glorious sun!! It looks and feels like summer out there! Not joking!!

I am thankful for...
My husband who values my role as an at-home mom as much as I do. I can't imagine what it's like to have to prepare the kids, the house, and the family each day as you head off to work. This is in no way a comparison of "my-jobs-better-than-yours" so please don't misunderstand this. I know plenty of wonderful women who work outside the home for many reasons and love their children and their families to bits. I'm just grateful for the job I get to do each day.

I am thinking about...

The chicken marinading in the fridge. We have friends who invite us for dinner occasionally and they always cook the most flavorful meat. Every time I ask what they've done, the secret is marinade the night before. So I did. And I'm excited for yummy stir fry tonight with marinaded meat!!


Learning all the time...
How to make my life run a bit smoother. There is no perfect plan and no guaranteed-tried-and-true-no-fail-method but I'm learning some tricks that make the little things easier so I have more time and attention for the big things. (Like planning my menu again . . . remember? That was a goal? I'm actually doing it. And not in a crazy-print-out-with-recipes-and-shopping-list-attached like I used to. Simply a list of meals we'd like to eat for the month and as I write the weekly calendar on our fridge wipe off board, I add a little note on the side as to what I'm going to cook. One glance the night before and I'm on track. Plus, it's stopped the 'what are we having' question from my eight year old EVERY DAY!! arrrgggg - minor frustration diverted.)

From the kitchen...
lots and lots and lots of supplies for a Superbowl extravaganza. The girls were asking me this week, "What is the super bowl?" I started to explain that it was a championship game for two football teams who have worked hard throughout the season to earn their spots blah blah blah. As I looked at their blank faces I changed my plan and said, "It's a super fun excuse to get together with great friends and eat a ton of yummy food!" Their eyes lit up and they are now looking forward to the day asking me often, "How soon until our friends come and we get to eat all this food?" (We're making deviled eggs, homemade meatballs in bbq sauce, stuffed mushrooms, smoked salmon with cheese and crackers, veggies and dip, chips, soda - we're going crazy and can't wait!)

I am creating . . .
A blanket for Hannah's window seat. She loooves her new room and the selling point from the beginning has been her cozy window seat that looks out over the beautiful scenery where she can nestle down with a good book and spend the day in bliss. My mom and I are making a fabric covered foam pad to sit on and I am crocheting a comfy blanket that is turning out quite fantastic if I do say so myself!!

I am working on...

Laundry. Does this job ever end? No. End of discussion.

I am going...

To spend the rest of the day doing nothing and everything with my girls. They have the day off of school for the semester break and the two little boys I usually get to love on each Friday are away at their aunts house so were are in our sweats. Just finished painting nails, having a Zumba dance party on Kinect, and after they play barbies for a while, planning on a tea party with real tea. Not everyday do I pull out all the Mommy stops but every once in a while it's fun to get down on the floor and play for the day.

I am hoping...

To exercise more. I now live in a gorgeous neighborhood with fantastic walking paths everywhere. My lungs are stronger, I have more energy and I'm ready to tackle the outdoors! (With caution of course.) My biggest goal is to walk the girls to school one day. There school is in our neighborhood. How wonderful is that? And save a few hills that just might kick my butt, it's a do-able trek. Baby steps . . .



I am reading...

Magazines . . . it's very rare that I flip through a magazine but am finding it a bit relaxing to pick up every once in a while, read a few articles and set it back down. A copy of Parents and Parenting were tossed my way (and I'm enjoying a good laugh and how far I've come from the new mommy days) and my favorite that I have a subscription to is called Home Life and it's put out by Lifeway ministries. They have encouraging and helpful articles about parenting, marriage, and great ideas about life in general. (Check out their website for a sample and even cute printables)

I am praying for...
Friends. I have so many wonderful women in my life. I couldn't be more blessed. Not a day goes by when I don't thank the Lord for bringing those into my life who make my life better. And there are so many prayers that go up for them - for healing, for peace, for courage, for strength, for diligence, for decision making, for faith, for time, for patience . . . and mostly for joy. (and lots more fun with me!!!)
   
I am hearing...
The girls giggling upstairs together as they play. There are lots and lots of moments when their interactions together are anything but loving . . . and there are lots and lots of moments when I smile hearing them crack each other up!

Around the house...

Evidence of mommy playing today. It's good . . . and messy.

One of my favorite things...

Good coffee creamer. Sounds silly but can make my day when I take a sip of that little cup of joy in the morning and it's sweet and yummy and milky looking as it's been splashed with the perfect creamer. (My favorite right now is Coffee House skinny caramel macchiato. 


Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...


Hee hee . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.