Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Finding Oneself

"Train up a child in the way HE should go and when he is old he will not turn from it." Proverbs 22:6

I heard a fantastic sermon once about this verse. The pastor explained that if you place an emphasis on the individual child and their calling in life, you have the ability to mold and encourage and teach.

I had the great honor of being contacted via email from the author, LeAnne Harder, to review a new book she's published. It's called "Crossovers" and I was thrilled to receive an autographed copy in the mail. (I love mail! And a new book in the mail? What could be better?)

This story, written for young adults (I'd say 6th-8th grade) follows siblings Ben and Denise and their quest to find who they are and what they want to do with their lives. As they begin to discover passions they have, they are both forced to examine the sterrotypes of "girl" sports and "boy" sports and decide if they are brave enough to step outside of the mold.

It's a tale of friendship, growing up, and choices in life. I'm not yet ready to let my 4th grader read it as some of the characters and situations require depth of conversation we've not yet had as it questions the assumptions some make of those who do not fit the "normal." I will, however, save it for when she is a bit older as I really enjoyed the concept to follow your dreams no matter how people percieve them. Stop worrying about what the "cool" kids do and think and find your own way within God's plan.

Thank you LeAnne for this opportunity!

To find out more about LeAnne and her books, check out her website and her blog. This week only, she is offering the Kindle version for $0.99!!

1 comment:

  1. Karla, I love that take on the Proverbs verse--that each child has his or her own way to find and should be encouraged to find what God has for them as individuals. Wow! No wonder the Proverbs are considered Wisdom Literature.

    I agree that fourth grade is a bit young for the concepts in Crossovers although sixth graders (and above!) face them all the time. You are wise not to push a book on your child before she is ready, even if she might understand the words. Thank you for reviewing Crossovers. I hope many readers enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.