Friday, March 14, 2014

MUST read

I love keeping track of all the books I've read each year. My type-A list maker self enjoys seeing the growing list looking back fondly (and sometimes not so fondly) at what I've completed. I guess being a mom doesn't have a lot of opportunities to "finish" anything. You do the sink full of dishes, cook one meal, turn around and the sink is full. You do copious amounts of laundry, fold, put away, turn around and the laundry baskets are overfilling. The point is, to actually finish something feels good.

I love recommending good books to friends and have a few great book buddies who do the same for me. So let me be your book buddy and recommend the best book I've read so far this year.

They say you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but the second I laid eyes on this beautiful book, I was captivated. Let me back up and tell you how I got this book. It was recommended by one of my book buddies who said, "This book truly changed my life!" Then the next morning, when I came downstairs to make a cup of coffee, I found this book laid on top of this beautiful journal right next to my coffee maker.
 


 

After she reassured me she wasn't a stalker and had given it all to Hannah who placed it there on her way out the door, I couldn't wait to dig in. I am always hesitant when someone says it changed their life because I don't want to be disappointed plus I know from experience that sometimes you have to be in a certain place or a certain mood for something to "change your life."

One chapter in, it was already changing my life. That sounds so hokey and cheesy as I type that but I'm not kidding. And part of it was because I was in one of those places in which I needed an attitude adjustment and a shake up. But part of it was because it's a beautifully written, honest, inspiring, incredible book. I don't want to give it all away because you must must must read it . . . but the premise is that the author gets challenged by a friend to write 1000 gifts in a thankful journal/notebook. She starts on day one hesitating to even come up with two or three. As the days progress though, she starts to see the little things all around her that are actually gifts and soon her pen is flying with.

I started writing the first day taking the challenge on myself. I also found great hesitation in coming up with something to say. As I continued to read about Ann's journey however, I was able to recognize all the amazing "little" things around me. I only allowed myself to read one chapter a night as there were sooo much insightful things I didn't want to rush past anything. And I marked a million passages with one of my favorite things; post-it sticky tabs. I wrote down the passages in a little notebook I keep by my bed to record things from books that inspire me, encourage me, challenge me or make me laugh so I can go back later and read the highlights. That little notebook is now quite filled with great bits from this book.

You MUST read this book. It may not "change your life" but it is sure to make you think about the way to look at life - and don't we all need that reminder sometimes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.