Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Joy . . .

Based on a friend's recommendation (thanks Michelle), I just finished reading "Champagne for the Soul" . . . and book about a man who challenges himself to live 90 of joy. Each chapter gives a small piece of the puzzle as to what he learned and how to choose to live in joy yourself. . . but I'll let him explain it himself . . .

pg 22 - "The present, after all, is the only time over which we have any control. I can't control the past; it's gone. As for the future, I don't know what will happen. Right now, however, I can chose to rejoice and so transform my life. A decision to rejoice in the present changes not only the present, it also changes my view of the past and ignites my future with hope. Thus, there is power in the present moment and only in the present to transform all of time."

pg. 34 - "Joy is like breathing: it's not enough to breathe in; one must also breathe out. In a word: REJOICE! Let your joy reverberate. Hug someone. Dance. Speak some inspiring words. Write a letter of book. Don't just think about happiness - be happy! Joy yearns to be physically expressed, acted out, lived."

An my favorite . . .

pg. 116 - "Joy need not be sought outside of the lives we already have. No, it lies right under our noses, often in the most extraordinary experiences. If we spent the next year simply enjoying who we are and what we have, we'd be much further ahead than by striving for more. What we need most, more than something dramatically new, is a quiet realization of what already is."

Hopefully, that wet your appetite to read it for yourself . . . what a good lesson on choosing how to approach the day instead of letting the day choose for you. Travis' Nana who lived to be 96 always said whatever the weather, then that was her choice. . . "if there is rain, then rain's my choice . . . if there is wind, then wind's my choice . . . if there is sun, then sun's my choice." Today, joy is my choice . . . and may God help me find it in all the little things today . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.