Wednesday, September 21, 2011

A Wednesday in September Day Book

Outside my window...
Is a beautiful sunset. We were incredibly honored and blessed to attend a river baptism of a good friend and his son this evening along with a dedication of their new baby boy . . . God painted an amazing picture of His love for us tonight . . .

I am thankful...
For my mom. She came down on Monday and took me out for lunch to celebrate and honor this transition in my life. It was really nice to sit and chat and laugh and enjoy some uninterrupted conversation. 

I am thinking about...
Organizing the garage. It seems like a pointless project. I have done it countless numbers of times and it never seems to last. I want a fun place for the girls to play without the vomit of toys in my living room but I'm not sure I can handle stepping on one more little pet shop out there . . . maybe Target has a sorting solution?! Hee Hee . . .

Learning all the time...
What to do with myself while both girls are in school. Today I had a doctors appointment and it was very nice not having to find a fun place for Haley to go while I was away. I also realized today that I can do something fun for myself . . . I went and had a manicure at the beauty school (it only costs $10 . . . takes forever as the girls are just learning . . . but a fun inexpensive treat!!)

From the kitchen...
It's leftover night. I've done a lot of cooking over the last couple days and I need a break.

I am creating...
A baby blanket for my sister . . . no . . . she is not pregnant. She is placing orders now for all her friends and co-workers who are having babies. Hopefully someday I'll be making one for her.

I am working on...
Enjoying the mornings. I have never been a morning person. Ever. I mean not even for a minute. But with the girls starting school, I didn't want another year of mad dashes out the door. I've set my alarm giving me plenty of time to get myself ready for the day, wake up the girls with a silly rendition of "This is the Day" (remember Sunday School?), make breakfast, send them to get dressed and brush their hair and teeth, and out the door. It has been surprisingly wonderful. In order for it to work, I have been packing their lunches the night before and prepping their backpacks. As I tuck them in, we also pick out their outfits and lay those out. And, I've been going to bed earlier. Sometimes I feel like I'm in a retirement home (not that there is anything wrong with that) but it's actually a nice thing to wake up feeling refreshed in the morning. (Don't expect me to wake up on Saturday though . . . thank you honey for cartoon and pancake duty!)

I am going...
To set some realistic goals for my time. I want to send a card a week. (Who doesn't love mail? Especially mail that is not bills?) I want to exercise. (I can't train for a marathon or attend Zumba classes again yet but I can do a yoga video or take a walk around the neighborhood.) I want to plan my meals for the week ahead of time. (I used to do this years ago and it saved so much time and energy and answered the question everyone including me was asking each night . . . what's for dinner?)

I am hoping...
That the girls continue to enjoy their classrooms and teachers as much as they are now. I pray all the time for the friends they will make and the experiences they will have and the lessons they will learn. I pray for their growth and their opportunities. I pray for the staff and administrators in the building. I pray for wisdom in making good choices, opportunities to be a light and protection of their innocence. It is a very strange feeling to let them go each day beyond my realm of control but I know that God is watching over them and I trust He can do a much better job then I can.

I am reading...
"A spoonful of Poison" by M.C. Beaton. It's a silly little mystery I found in the library. The detective's name is Agatha Raisin and she's about as goofy as her name. Not going to change the world with this piece of literature but not bad for a fluffy read.

I am praying...
For my brother-in-laws test results and for my sister as she stands by him during this challenging time.

I am hearing...
The girls enjoying some time together. Things have changed from the endless hours of play together this summer now that school and homework and piano lessons and gymnastics are back into the picture. These moments of unstructured imagination time are soooo important!!

Around the house...
Things are surprisingly clean. As I have had a few days without kids, I have tackled a few organizational projects that were long since overdue and have been able to keep up on things like laundry, dishes and mail sorting (things that are not as easy to do with little ones running around). My sweet cleaning friend was here today to dust and vacuum and all the other amazing things she does for me so on top of being more tidy, it's even a bit sparkly.

One of my favorite things...
Project Runway . . . it's one of the few shows on TV that I DVR and love to watch. It cracks me up and amazes me at what people can create and I really enjoy it. Travis . . . not so much . . . but he has conferences tonight . . . Project Runway here I come!!

A few plans for the rest of the week...
Gymnastics for Haley, another trip to the library (we read a ton of books around here (a great problem to have) and family movie night on Friday. (Last week we watched Freaky Friday . . . the original one . . . so fun to watch one I enjoyed as a kid with my kids . . . and crack up at the clothes and hair and typewriters!)

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you. . .



I have the incredible privilege of taking care of a friend's little boys on Fridays. Haley loves to help with the baby . . . she's going to make a great little mommy someday.

2 comments:

  1. You sound so peaceful in this daybook, Karla. That's music to my ears. :) That cute little baby boy is EDIBLE. Have fun as you ease into this new transition! Embrace it! You are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE project runway. Jill got me hooked. You have me excited for the days when my kiddos head off to school. I know better than to rush the now, but nice to know the later sounds so nice!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.