Tuesday, March 27, 2012

An Easter Story

"Simon and the Easter Miracle" by Mary Josin and illustrated by Anna Luraschi is one of the latest children's books released by Kregel publishing. Just in time for this blessed holiday, I was eagerly looking forward to settling down with the girls in a cozy blanket with this new book.

The pictures on each page are soft and beautiful and captivated our attention from the very first beginning. The story follows a man named Simon as he goes into the market for the day to sell his wares. He is stopped on his way when asked to carry the cross of Jesus. His interaction with Christ makes an impression on him that he doesn't understand or notice until later.

I love Easter. I can't think of a more incredible, powerful, moving, emotional, complex and yet so simple moment of time that we remember each year. Since having kids I have been overwhelmed with their depth of understanding and love of Jesus. And I have realized just how approachable God is. Now please don't misunderstand . . . the more I read the bible, the more I realize how huge God is and just how little I know about Him and His plan. There are times however, that just baffle me when I back up and put my "intellectualism" on the shelf and look at the message from the eyes of a child (one who Jesus said the kingdom of God belongs to). The words to the tender well known song "Jesus loves me . . . this I know . . . for the bible tells me so" . . . sums it all up. Jesus love us . . . the bible tells us so.

"Simon and the Easter Miracle" was another spring board for conversation with my girls as to how much Jesus loves us and what an amazing sacrifice he made. On a practical sense, I found this book didn't end . . it lacked cohesion and finality . . . the girls said, "and then what?" I felt the same thing . . . I was craving a few more pages tying the story together and emphasizing what the miracle of Easter really was. I imagine the authors intended an opportunity to fill in the blanks when the book was closed.

May this Easter season be a blessed time for you . . . wherever you are . . . no matter your understanding of the bible or deep "spiritual" things . . . no matter the place you are in life . . . Jesus loves you - this I KNOW - for the bible tells me so.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.