Monday, June 28, 2010

Vacation Book Review . . .

One of my favorite things to do on vacation is read books . . . to me, nothing beats curling up on the couch and reading a good book . . . especially when there is no distraction of dirty dishes, laundry, phone calls or cooking . . . and although I enjoy doing all those things on a perpetual basis, the break from the norm is key to relaxation.

Last night I finished reading Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. It's the story of a woman in search of balance in her life by traveling to three countries, each for 4 months, ending with a full year of experiences.

The book started out with quite a bit of adult language - one of my least favorites tools some authors use to claim their spot as an "adult" book . . . so many other ways to express yourself but I digress. . . there are also a few points in the book of to much detailed information about her relationships and experiences . . .

All that to say, it wasn't a waste of a read. It was very interesting to experience her journey with her . . . there are some fun little stories about the people she met and things she saw . . . it made me want to travel the world and see things she saw. . .

The other large piece of the book was her search for God . . . it wasn't as satisfying as I'd hope in that she'd find the God of the universe . . . the one and only God . . . creator of you and me . . . but it is interesting to view from the outside the inner process of someone seeking . . .

I'd recommend this book if you can view it from the outside - don't take her ideas on for yourself . . . just experience her perspective, laugh at her jokes, feel for the people she met, and crave the delicious food she describes. . .

I'd write more . . . but I'm on vacation and I have more books to read . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.