Saturday, April 23, 2011

New Starts

We have been excitedly awaiting the day when we could start our vegetable garden for the year. Let me start by saying, for the last four years in our little home, we have been pathetically unsuccessful in creating a garden whatsoever. We have some beautiful perennials that come up faithfully each year thanks to the previous green-thumbed home owner but our continual yearly efforts to grow veggies, herbs, pumpkins, anything really, has failed.

A few weeks ago we started the "Jiffy" brand indoor greenhouse and have been tending it on our kitchen counter . . .



Last week we gave the plants field trips to the deck for the day to begin the acclimation process of the great outdoors and today was the grand day of planting out little veggies . . .









With a hope and a prayer, some good sun and rain, we might just have a garden yet!!

On another note, I am starting a new plan for myself today. I am joining forces with my mom to be intentional about our health . . . we are beginning a new chapter of eating healthier. Thanks in part to the large amounts of steroids and various other medications I have taken over the past two and a half years, I have gained just over 100 pounds . . . not fun - and not something I'm proud to announce into the blog-o-sphere. Going in and out of various stages of crisis, that has been the least of my problems - gaining weight sucks but not breathing sucks worse. Suffice it to say, it's not obviously something I'm overjoyed with. I know a part of it has not been my fault - I didn't chose to start all these medicines and live in a sedentary bubble but I know my attitude has become progressively apathetic to the area of food . . . that changes today. We decided a few weeks ago we both needed to loose weight . . . and more than loose weight, we need healthier bodies. I put so much time, money and effort every single day on medication, breathing treatments, special air filters, special soap and vacuum and cleaning supplies and mattress covers and the list goes on and on . . . the least I can do is spend at least as much time, money, and effort into intentional eating of healthy foods . . . I am writing down what I eat all day and restricting the amount of calories (to a healthy number based on doctor information). I am cutting out all sugar and empty carbs (bread, pasta, chips, crackers etc.). I am making sure I drink a ton of water all throughout the day . . . it's not rocket science and it's not meant to be a fad flash in the pan diet . . . it's meant to be a chance in mentality - a more focused approach . . .

As I was writing in my journal last night I was pondering what this means to me . . . I know it's going to be hard. I know my body might hang on to weight as I'm still taking the medication. But I know that this is giving me hope and control over an area I don't have a lot of hope or control. My goal is not to loose the 100 pounds (although I'd love to . . . I'll take even 10) but my goal is to give my body the best chance to fight this chronic disease that I have. . . in hopes of not avoiding the unavoidable flare ups but recovering faster when in the middle of them. And living the best, healthiest, lifestyle I can in the midst of this unfortunate diagnosis.

Here's to new starts . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.