Friday, April 29, 2011

Seven Days In . . .

I am officially seven days into this intentional eating plan and I have made a few observations thus far . . .

1. I have not missed a single day of writing down what I eat and staying within the determined amount of calories and foods . . . that makes me happy.

2. It takes a bit longer to think about what I'm going to eat for meals instead of just pulling out whats there . . . but once I figure it out, the food tastes really good and I'm kinda proud of making it myself.

3. We have less garbage from eating so much less out of a can or box or bag . . . I guess we're more green now too!

4. I am full . . . I really thought I'd be eating like a chicken and hungry all the time . . . I'm not . . . yeah!

5. Although I haven't noticed any changes in my body (and can't weigh or measure for 6 weeks - yipes!) I have noticed I already have more energy . . . one of my biggest goals in this whole thing.

6. I love doing this with my mom . . . she is always just a phone call or text message away from answering questions or cheering me on.

7. I am overwhelmed by the support . . . I have so many great friends. It's been fun to share something positive about myself and have such a great response - thanks ladies!!

8. This way of eating is contagious . . . the girls and Travis are eating a ton more fruits and veggies too . . . and loving it . . . the other night we had artichokes and the girls had a hay day peeling and biting with their teeth . . . another night we had beets and Haley had seconds . . . then thirds . . . then they were gone and she was wishing for more!!

9. I went to the grocery store today and it only took me about 10 extra minutes total to read a few labels and buy healthier options . . . and it was so fun looking into a cart 3/4 full of fresh foods . . .

10. It's amazing the clarity in food choices . . . with writing everything down, counting the calories and avoiding sugar and empty carbs, there are so many things I would have put in my mouth just because they were there - not because I was hungry or my body needed the fuel . . . awareness is a wonderfully surprising thing!!

Overall, I'm thrilled to have made it so smoothly to Day 7 . . . there have certainly been hard moments . . . like when chocolate sounded fabulous (but not on the plan) . . . or when we made homemade peanut butter cookies for an after-school activity and I ate sugar snap peas instead (not the same) . . . or when we were out running errands and I would have normally stopped at McDonalds for a quick lunch and tasty yet unhealthy bite - I resisted and ate a yummy homemade lunch later instead . . . but all of these temptations (when weighed against the end goal of a healthier me) have quickly passed and I felt so much victory in each one.

God has been so faithful in blessing this process . . . I'm praying everyday for help to be successful . . . to really honor Him by taking care of the vessel He's given me. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 "Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body."

2 comments:

I love to hear from you!! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.